An Irish, William and Gibton, rosewood and marble specimen table, marked on base and numbered 29109, marble top inlayed with over 100 different stones samples, base carved with gilded highlights, circa 1830-1842
The Irish firm of Williams and Gibton was founded in 1829 and listed as Cabinetmakers, upholders, Auctioneers, Valuators and House agents. They evolved from the well-known firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton* (1811-29) who were at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and were appointed 'Upholster's & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works' in 1806. They supplied for some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel Royal and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. Simultaneously they were commissioned to produce furniture for many of the Irish country houses, such as Ballynegall, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.
The firm dates to 1784 when John Mack set up his business in Dublin, joined by Robert Gibton (d. 1812), who was succeeded by his son. Zachariah Williams, a former apprentice, married Robert Gibton's daughter and joined at the same time, forming Mack, Williams and Gibton. Williams and Gibton continued to work together until Gibton's death in 1842.
Size: 30 ½ x 31 ¾ x 31 ¾ in