Bronze sculpture after the antique, inscribed "G. HOPFGARTEN. ROMA. 1862" on base. This is a copy after the Borghese Gladiator, a Hellenistic life-size marble sculpture portraying a swordsman battling a mounted combatant, created in about 100 BC. The name comes from the Borghese Villa in Rome, where it stood in a ground floor room named for it. It was sold by Camillo Borghese to his brother In-law Napoleon Bonaparte and taken to Paris and added to the Louvre collection where it still resides.
Size: 15 ½ x 16 x 14 in